Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hunger by Karen E. Taylor


Deirdre Griffin didn't choose to be a vampire. But she is. And she's determined to make the most of her fate. For Deirdre that means surrendering to the raging hunger ignited by even the slightest whiff of blood - a hunger that pulses through her body like a fever, demanding release. It means making friends in dark places - and savouring every hot, salty, bitter, revitalizing drop of life force the night has to offer...

I don’t know how it's possible, but this author made vampires boring. Now, I know that vampires is an overdone topic, one that has been, if you’ll forgive the pun, sucked dry, but I still enjoy them once in a while. I got this book from the publisher and thought, “huh, looks fun.” Nope. Not even close.

So, technically, this book is made of two complete novels stuck together. Somehow, I made it through both. The main problem, I think, was the complete lack of originality. The author brought nothing new to the genre, nothing that made her book stand out from the thousands out there dealing with vampires. Neither the main character, Deidre, nor any of the other supporting ones make any impact on me. They were all dull and unimaginative people thrown in dull and unimaginative circumstances.

The writing itself could have been better. I wouldn’t have minded it so much if the story had been better, but as it is, it’s one of those books that I’ll forget I read in about a week.

I can’t recommend this one, even if you’re like I am and love vampires.





No comments: