Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Moment of Kairos by MJ Burns

Four worlds. Four ages. Four struggles through deserts, demons, criminal underworlds and overwhelming odds. Elian searches for answer to the mysterious blackouts, led forward by his only clue: an encoded diary. Ben stalks the streets at night in search of horrific creatures not of this world. Alexander hunts down criminals, always intent on doing the right thing whatever the cost. And Prometheus tries to save his village without dying in the process.

Separate but intertwined, they press on, linked somehow to the mysterious John, who watches and waits - for it seems each of the four is part of something much greater than they could ever have imagined.


What I liked the most about this book were the four different points of view. I always find that an interesting way to tell a story. John’s thread, in particular, caught my attention. There are a few moments of confusion in this book, but overall it’s well done.

There is a wonderful dystopian atmosphere that really makes the book for me. I loved the sense of unreality it creates. And with John adding lots of mystery as well, it made it fun to read through. There are also a few twists in the story to add to that mystery.

I had a few issues with the writing itself, mostly that a lot of it is in passive voice instead of active voice. I know sometimes this is used for effect, but when it’s done so much it makes the writing feel awkward. All in all, though, it’s not a bad beginning to a series, and if you’re willing to put in some time, I think this is one many of you will enjoy.





1 comment:

Dalene @ A Date with a Book said...

I was admiring the cover before I read your review. I liked the four panels and then it clicked when you said there were four different points. Sounds very interesting, a book I've never heard of. Thanks for sharing :)