Monday, April 2, 2012

The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy #1) by Jennifer A. Nielsen


THE FALSE PRINCE is the thrilling first book in a brand-new trilogy filled with danger and deceit and hidden identities that will have readers rushing breathlessly to the end.

In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.

As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.

An extraordinary adventure filled with danger and action, lies and deadly truths that will have readers clinging to the edge of their seats.


If you don’t have this book on your to-buy list, I urge you to add it. I finished it last night and am so thrilled with the whole story that I have to restrain myself from just writing “awesome” in big, bold letters and calling it a day.

The first and most important thing in this novel is the protagonist, Sage.
He is a perfect example of an unreliable narrator, which is one of my favorite literary devices, and is, generally, one of the most fun protagonists I’ve read about in a long while. He is a fully-fledged character, with all his flaws and virtues. Sometimes I found myself wanting to throttle him, but that’s what makes him such a wonder to read. The rest of the characters are also incredibly amusing, but Sage is the one that grabs and holds on to your attention.

The plot is an intricately crafted one, clever and full of edge-of-your-seat moments. It is the kind of book you’ll want to read again as soon as you finish it. Trust me on that. The writing is straight forward, allowing Sage’s voice to shine through at its fullest.

This is one of the best books I’ve read so far this year, so I highly, highly recommend it.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

I, too, love unreliable narrators. It gives so much edge to the story. I'll have to add this to my TBR list. Thanks!

Sandy said...

I have a confessions to make. Because I didn't like the cover I never got interested enough to actually check this book and read the synopsis -hangs head in shame-. So thank-you very much for sharing your review because this actually sounds like my favourite kind of books and I would have missed out on it if not for your post.

I {heart} Rhody said...

You make the book sound awesome! I'll have to add it to my list.