Thursday, April 19, 2012

Booking Through Thursday


What are your literary “pet peeves”?


Oh, there are a few. I hate, hate, hate characters who fall in love with each other as soon as they so much as catch a glimpse of one another. I don't get it and what it boils down to is that the author is too lazy to build a relationship.
I also dislike books that have weak protagonists. Usually, it's female characters that don't do anything but scream and fall and wait for their knight in armor to show up. Not my kind of thing. I'm not saying they all need to be ninja warriors or anything, but they have to have some sense of independece.
Another one I have might be a bit strange, but I'm not a huge fan of books that have dream sequences. I know they're used for character development, but they tend to bore me.
I'm sure there are many more peeves, but those are the ones that really make me want to fling books around the room.








7 comments:

Juli Rahel said...

Yup, love at first sight is fine, but it's a bit over the top in most books!! Thanks for stopping by! Btw, I added your button, cause I think it's gorgeous!
Juli @ Universe in Words

Anonymous said...

I love the picture! All while reading through your post, I kept thinking of Twilight lol. I love that book but some of your pet peeves are so true when it comes to that story line. Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

Gigi Ann said...

Love that picture, and I so agree with love at first sight, and then right to bed they go. What do these authors think love is? It takes a lot more then sex to make a happy ever after.

Unknown said...

Great answers. I definitely agree with weak protagonists, unless it adds to the point of the story. If they are weak, I like to see them grow more independent as the story progresses so there is at least development there.

Moniquereads said...

I never understood the love at first sight thing (maybe because I don't believe in it) but I hate when characters meet each and all the sudden know everything there is to know about each other.

I agree with weak protagonists, especially female protagonists.

I don't think I have ever read a book with a dream sequence but I don't think I would like it either.

Bev Hankins said...

You're the second person to mention dreams....I hadn't thought about it, but you're right. It's rare that a dream sequence really does anything for the story.

Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2012/04/booking-through-thursday.html

Unknown said...

hello :) thanks for stopping by!
I completely agree with your peeves. Weak protagonists are so uninspired to read about and sometimes I just want to yell at them to do something! :p
and as much of a disney romantic as I am, falling in love too quick doesn't work very well in books I think.
have a wonderful week :D