Thursday, December 1, 2011

Booking Through Thursday


Do you find that your mood affects the things you read? Like, if you’re in a bad mood, do you tend to indulge in reading that will support it or do you try to read things that will cheer you up? Do you pick different types of books on dreary, rainy days than you do on bright sunny ones?

For that matter, does your mood color what you’re reading, so that a funny book isn’t so funny or a serious one not so deep?

This is an interesting question. I suffer from depression, so when I feel myself dipping down into that pit, I usually pick something up that will distract me. It doesn't always work, of course, but I give it my best shot. Most times I pick up a book by Stephen King, something that, although scary, completely immerses me in its atmosphere and plot.
My mood does color what I read sometimes, which is why I tend to stick to things that are high impact when I'm depressed. The more engrossing, the better. Funny ones don't really do much for me, so I stay away from those even on good days.

What about you?

3 comments:

Literary Meanderings said...

Humorous books aren't usually my thing either. I don't really know why.

Reading King on a depressed day sounds like the perfect idea. I know I wouldn't be able to concentrate on a YA book, or romance. Romance + depression, yeah, not a good combo. ;P For me anyway!

Claire said...

Humour is so subjective that I tend to stick to a few favourite authors. I haven't managed to read anything by Stephen King yet, though he's on my list!

Thanks for stopping by Project to be Read :)

JLS Hall said...

When I'm really depressed, I usually turn to music or TV to get me back "up" rather than reading. I really didn't think I was a "mood reader" until I had to answer this question!